Monday, May 21, 2012

Herb Garden

I'm finally getting my herb garden planted but of course my personal one wasn't the first I planted.  For Mother's Day, I decided to make my mother-in-law an herb garden.  Then once I got back home from that weekend, I was able to go out and buy the supplies I needed for my garden as well.

This is the final product/gift for my mother in law:

I tried to find a neat galvanized tub like this pin I saw on Pinterest. 
But I went to Home Depot, Menards, Wal-Mart, called Lowe's & the local nursery Campbells and nobody had one.  Went to Tractor Supply Store and a lady was walking out with the last one as my husband walked in...of course!!  
So...since I hadn't thought too far ahead of time and needed to plant this that day, I found this planter that I thought would still look really nice.  
I started by putting just a little bit of gravel in the bottom to help with drainage and so the soil wouldn't wash out - as you can see my little 'helper' was right there throwing in the big rocks from my flower bed as I was trying to work.  :)

  
Then I mixed Miracle Grow's Moisture Control soil with some potting soil and added it to the level I thought it should be.

Roughly placed the plants where I thought they would end up and added soil as needed.  
For mine I also added some of this plant starter to my watering can and watered them with it once they were planted.

 Here's my finished herb garden that now graces my back patio table. :)  Smells soooo good!

I decided to plant basil, parsley, mint & rosemary for my mother-in-law and for myself I also added cilantro and oregano.  I've never grown cilantro so hopefully I'll do okay and it will thrive because I LOVE making guacamole and it'd be great to use my own! :)  (I'll post my guacamole recipe later)

For my mother-in-law's I used the plant marker idea from this post on Pinterest.  (Can you tell I love Pinterest?!?)  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment